Application funnel @ Hassle.com

The problem

The problem we faced to tackle in this iteration of the cleaner application funnel, was our bounce rate. With a bounce rate of 65%, though the conversion rate we had was suprisingly high, we felt there were certain ways we could improve that metric.

A few problems we identified from the current landing page were:

  1. No pictures/visuals of cleaners present (we have seen this as a success in Facebook advertising channels)
  2. Lack of 'focus' on benefits of Hassle.com.
  3. Large form presented up front – assuming a lengthy application procedure.

Discovery

To win the trust of cleaners upon entering the landing page, we wanted to eliminate the lack of 'focus' of the benefits of working as a cleaner at Hassle.com. To do this, we used data gathered from cleaner surveys. The most prominent being the following:

Main concerns for cleaners

  1. How much am I paid? – no cash involved.
  2. Flexibility (Locality – “Choose where you want to work”)
  3. Availability of jobs.

In addition to the excessive form weight, there was no information on how the application to Hassle.com itself proceeded.

Secondary concerns for cleaners

  • Who else is on the platform? What are their experiences?
  • How much could you earn ‘widget’?
  • Showing the online product itself, tied to flexibility
  • Show cleaner success team

Success Metric

We set a success metric of 40% bounce rate, once finishing the feature, we would review the data after a certain amount of tiem, to see whether the bounce rate had dropped.

Wireframing

Before wireframing, I ran a small excercise of stacking the 'sections' in level of importance; me and Ben, did this independantly, then showed the results. This helped me to have a general sense of heirarchy for the elements on the page.

My sketching led to some extremely low-fidelity wireframes, which we reviewed as a group of two designers. We quickly talked about what worked and what didn't in terms of intial prototypes; also allowing us to throw away quickly, any prototypes we weren't happy with.

This led me on to higher fidelity wireframes, using some dummy text, but also real text where applicable. We had decided to ship a 'condensed' version of the page and then individually ship each 'section' as a small feature, incrementally.

Application funnel

Having a fairly good base to start building, I also decided to make some changes further into the bid funnel, as I would have to chnage the layout due to the changes we'd made. I decided to make the following changes:

  1. Due to having the postcode upfront, I would now be able to personalise the experience – showing a map as a background of where the applicant is from, as well as telling them whether they have work in that area.
  2. Remove unwanted destractions from the navigation of the 2nd sectino of funnel, without removing capability to easily get out of the funnel.

Built product shots

Metric review

Upon shipping the changes above, we saw a reduction on bounce rate to around 43%, (a 22% decrease) thus practically hitting our success rate. The plan is to start shipping the individual tickets already wireframed, which we're hoping will decrease bounce rate even further.

In terms of conversion, we increased overall conversion by about 1%, not as high a statistic, but our hypothesis is that this shall also increase with the extra iterations.